The Board of Trustees of the Findlay-Hancock County Public Library (Board) welcomes public input in its deliberations. The Board further recognizes both the importance of public comment on issues before the Board and the ability of members of the community to express their views on matters of interest to the library.
The Board is committed to conducting its meetings in a civil, orderly, efficient and productive manner designed to allow the Board’s regular agenda to be completed in a reasonable period of time while allowing a fair and adequate opportunity for public input to be considered. Consequently, public participation at Board meetings will be governed by the following principles:
- Public participation at Board meetings is limited to the public comment portions of the meeting as indicated in the agenda. At all other times during a Board meeting, the audience will not be recognized by the Board unless specifically requested to do so by the President of the Board (or other presiding officer).
- Person wishing to address the Board must be physically present and register their names and topic on the sign-in sheet, which will be provided at the meetings. Speakers must fill out the sign-in sheet before they will be recognized. If an individual is unable to be present at a Board meeting, written comments from such individual will be received by the Secretary of the Board, prior to the conclusion of the meeting for submission or addition to the record.
- Each person addressing the Board is generally limited to three minutes. This time limit may be modified at the discretion of the Board in order to ensure an orderly and productive meeting.
- Persons addressing the Board are expected to observe a level of civility and decorum appropriate for a public meeting, and refrain from vulgar, profane, or harassing remarks. The President of the Board (or other presiding officer) may terminate any presentation deemed not to adhere to these standards.
- Tape or video recordings are permitted. The person operating the recorder should contact the Library Director prior to the Board meeting and must agree to the placement of the equipment and to abide by the following conditions:
- No obstructions are created between the Board and the audience.
- No interviews are conducted in the meeting room while the Board is in session.
- No commentary, adjustment of equipment, or positioning of operators is made that would distract either the Board or members of the audience while the Board is in session.
- No disruption of the meeting.
Failure to adhere to these principles may result in removal from the meeting.